It’s a good idea to assess your existing policy.
A policy analysis will help you determine if you have included all the important aspects of a comprehensive sun safety policy. It should be carried out whenever there are any changes to your current policy or even before a policy has been created. This will help you figure out if you have included all essential best practices, and give you direction on potential best practices to include in the future.
Policy analysis will be helpful in many ways, including:
- To allow you to assess your policy as you roll out your Be Sunsible program and to make changes as you identify gaps.
- To help demonstrate due diligence should you be faced with a legal claim.
- To ensure you have included all essential aspects of a comprehensive sun safety policy.
There are four main strategies that should be included in a comprehensive sun safety policy:
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Engineering Controls
- Administrative Controls
- Sun Safety Training and Awareness
Each of the above strategies has a number of control measures to improve sun safety. When creating or updating your sun safety policy, choose the measures that are most appropriate for your workplace.
Start your Sun Safety Policy Analysis [PDF].
Check out the Be Sunsible Sample Sun Safety Policy [PDF] to see what a comprehensive policy could look like.